IMHO, Mike Tintner is not often rude, and is not exactly a "troll" because I
feel he is genuinely trying to understand the deeper issues related to AGI,
rather than mainly trying to stir up trouble or cause irritation

However, I find conversing with him generally frustrating because he
combines

A)
extremely strong intuitive opinions about AGI topics

with

B)
almost utter ignorance of the details of AGI (or standard AI), or the
background knowledge needed to appreciate these details when compactly
communicated

This means that discussions with Mike never seem to get anywhere... and,
frankly, I usually regret getting into them

I would find it more rewarding by far to engage in discussion with someone
who had Mike's same philosophy and ideas (which I disagree strongly with),
but had enough technical background to actually debate the details of AGI in
a meaningful way

For example, Selmer Bringjord (an AI expert, not on this list) seems to
share a fair number of Mike's ideas, but discussions with him are less
frustrating because rather than wasting time on misunderstandings, basics
and terminology, one cuts VERY QUICKLY to the deep points of conceptual
disagreement

ben g

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Pei Wang <mail.peiw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BillK,
>
> Thanks for the reminder. I didn't reply to him, but still got involved. :-(
>
> I certainty don't want to encourage bad behaviors in this mailing
> list. Here "bad behaviors" are not in the conclusions or arguments,
> but in the way they are presented, as well as in the
> politeness/rudeness toward other people.
>
> Pei
>
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:38 AM, BillK <pha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Mike Tintner wrote:
> >>
> >> (On the contrary, Pei, you can't get more narrow-minded than rational
> >> thinking. That's its strength and its weakness).
> >>

> > Pei
> >
> > In case you haven't noticed, you won't gain anything from trying to
> > engage with the troll.
> >
> > Mike does not discuss anything. He states his opinions in many
> > different ways, pretending to respond to those that waste their time
> > talking to him. But no matter what points are raised in discussion
> > with him, they will only be used as an excuse to produce yet another
> > variation of his unchanged opinions.  He doesn't have any technical
> > programming or AI background, so he can't understand that type of
> > argument.
> >
> > He is against the whole basis of AGI research. He believes that
> > rationality is a dead end, a dying culture, so deep-down, rational
> > arguments mean little to him.
> >
> > Don't feed the troll!
> > (Unless you really, really, think he might say something useful to you
> > instead of just wasting your time).
> >

> > BillK

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
b...@goertzel.org

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx