2008/12/20 Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org>:

> I.e., I doubt one needs serious fluid dynamics in one's simulation ... I
> doubt one needs bodies with detailed internal musculature ... but I think
> one does need basic Newtonian physics and the ability to use tools, break
> things in half (but not necessarily realistic cracking behavior), balance
> things and carry them and stack them and push them together Lego-like and so
> forth...

"Needs" for what purpose? I can see three uses for a virtual world:

1. to mimic the real world accurately enough that the AI can use the
virtual world instead, and by using it become proficient in dealing
with the real world, because it is cheaper than a real world.
Obviously to program a virtual world this real is a big up-front
investment, but once the investment is made, such a world may well be
cheaper and easier to use than our real one.

2. to provide a useful bridge between humans and the AGI, i.e. the
virtual world will be similar enough to the real world that humans
will have a common frame of reference with the AGI.

3. to provide a "toy domain" for the AI to think about and become
proficient in. (Of course there's no reason why a toy domain needs to
be anything like a virtual world, it could for example be a "software
modality" that can see/understand source code as easily and fluently
as humans interprete visual input.)

AIUI you're mostly thinking in terms of 2 or 3. Fair comment?

--
Philip Hunt, <cabala...@googlemail.com>