Travis Lenting wrote:
>> Is there a difference between enhancing our intelligence by uploading and
>> creating killer robots? Think about it.

> Well yes, we're not all bad but I think you read me wrong because thats
> basically my worry.

What I mean is that one way to look at uploading is to create a robot that
behaves like you and then dying. The question is whether you "become" the
robot. But it is a nonsense question. Nothing changes whichever way you answer
it.

>> Assume we succeed. People want to be happy. Depending on how our minds are
>> implemented, it's either a matter of rewiring our neurons or rewriting our
>> software. Is that better than a gray goo accident?

> Are you asking if changing your hardware or software ends your true existence
> like a grey goo accident would?

A state of maximum happiness or maximum utility is a degenerate mental state
where any thought or perception would be unpleasant because it would result in
a different mental state. In a competition with machines that can't have
everything they want (for example, they fear death and later die), the other
machines would win because you would have no interest in self preservation and
they would.

> Assuming the goo is unconscious,

What do you mean by "unconscious"?

> it would be worse because there is the potential for a peaceful experience
> free from the power struggle for limited resources even if humans don't truly
> exist or not.

That result could be reached by a dead planet, which BTW, is the only stable
attractor in the chaotic process of evolution.

> Does anyone else worry about how we're going to keep this machine's
> unprecedented resourcefulness from being abused by an elite few to further
> protect and advance their social superiority?

If the elite few kill off all their competition, then theirs is the only
ethical model that matters. From their point of view, it would be a good thing.
How do you feel about humans currently being at the top of the food chain?

> To me it seems like if we can't create a democratic society where people have
> real choices concerning the issues that affect them most and it  just ends up
> being a continuation of the class war we have today, then maybe grey goo
> would be the better option before we start "promoting democracy" throughout
> the universe.

Freedom and fairness are important to us because they were programmed into our
ethical models, not because they are actually important. As a counterexample,
they are irrelevant to evolution. Gray goo might be collectively vastly more
intelligent than humanity, if that makes you feel any better.
 -- Matt Mahoney, matmaho...@yahoo.com

________________________________
Everything has to happen before the singularity because there is no after.

I meant when machines take over technological evolution.

That is easy. Eliminate all laws.

I would prefer a surveillance state. I should say impossible to get away with
if conducted in public.

Is there a difference between enhancing our intelligence by uploading and
creating killer robots? Think about it.

Well yes, we're not all bad but I think you read me wrong because thats
basically my worry.

Assume we succeed. People want to be happy. Depending on how our minds are
implemented, it's either a matter of rewiring our neurons or rewriting our
software. Is that better than a gray goo accident?

Are you asking if changing your hardware or software ends your true existence
like a grey goo accident would? Assuming the goo is unconscious, it would be
worse because there is the potential for a peaceful experience free from the
power struggle for limited resources even if humans don't truly exist or not.
Does anyone else worry about how we're going to keep this machine's
unprecedented resourcefulness from being abused by an elite few to further
protect and advance their social superiority? To me it seems like if we can't