The point I was trying to make is that an approach that tries to interpret
language just using language itself and without sufficient information or
the means to realistically acquire that information, *should* fail.

On the other hand, an approach that tries to interpret vision with minimal
upfront knowledge needs *should* succeed because the knowledge required to
automatically learn to interpret images is amenable to preprogramming. In
addition, such knowledge must be pre-programmed. The knowledge for
interpreting language though should not be pre-programmed.

Dave