Jim, to address all of your points,

Solomonoff induction claims that the probability of a string is proportional to
the number of programs that output the string, where each program M is weighted
by 2^-|M|. The probability is dominated by the shortest program (Kolmogorov
complexity), but it is not exactly the same. The difference is small enough
that we may neglect it, just as we neglect differences that depend on choice of
language.

Here is the proof that Kolmogorov complexity is not computable. Suppose it
were. Then I could test the Kolmogorov complexity of strings in increasing
order of length (breaking ties lexicographically) and describe "the first
string that cannot be described in less than a million bits", contradicting the
fact that I just did. (Formally, I could write a program that outputs the first
string whose Kolmogorov complexity is at least n bits, choosing n to be larger
than my program).

Here is the argument that Occam's Razor and Solomonoff distribution must be
true. Consider all possible probability distributions p(x) over any infinite
set X of possible finite strings x, i.e. any X = {x: p(x) > 0} that is
infinite. All such distributions must favor shorter strings over longer ones.
Consider any x in X. Then p(x) > 0. There can be at most a finite number (less
than 1/p(x)) of strings that are more likely than x, and therefore an infinite
number of strings which are less likely than x. Of this infinite set, only a
finite number (less than 2^|x|) can be shorter than x, and therefore there must
be an infinite number that are longer than x. So for each x we can partition X
into 4 subsets as follows:

- shorter and more likely than x: finite
- shorter and less likely than x: finite
- longer and more likely than x: finite
- longer and less likely than x: infinite.

So in this sense, any distribution over the set of strings must favor shorter
strings over longer ones.

-- Matt Mahoney, matmaho...@yahoo.com