My theory is that there is no general class. What ever you see new is a new
class for you. If you see that again then this becomes a variation of the
earlier class. Basically the brain is able to detect if something it sees in
new and store it along with an emotion of excitement. This is why young
people are excited to see things because many things are new for them. New
experiences gives a kind of emotional high. This high helps to register the
new experience as a class. Now if there are things that just variations of
the new class then there is not too much excitement.

The neurons initially are nascent and as it sees new objects the neurons
become that memory. So when we see a car for the first time, the car neurons
are created. Basic class. When we see an audi, our brain create a variation
of car neuron. Each time u see a car, the car neurons in the brain get
excited.

Common things become boring. A star if he is seen always doesn't create that
excitement anymore. This is why the stars who are over exposed lose their
star value..

The emotions also play a huge role in forming memories. - This we will take
up as another thread.

The ability of the child to move its mouth comes from another phenomenon
namely mirror neurons. - Its basically means that a visual input of a
movement of the mouth creates memories that can be used to activate motor
nerves to move the mouth. This is a feedback mechanism.
Its similar to recording. When we record an mp3 song we can use it to play
back. similarly when we hear a sound in our brain, the brain finds a way to
reproduce the sound through the mouth. I know this is very confusing, I will
try to explain this better in a later post.

But the question is interesting. How does the baby know where its mouth is?

Thanks,
Deepak