John

From: Ian Parker [mailto:ianpark...@gmail.com]

Your remarks about WiFi echo my own view. Should a robot rely on an external
connection (WiFi) or should it have complex processing itself.

In general we try to keep real time response information local, although
"local" my be viewed in terms of the c the speed of light. If a PC is 150m
away from a robot this is a 300m double journey which will take a
microsecond. To access the Web for a program will, of course, take
considerably longer.

A μ sec is nothing even when we are considering time critical functions like
balance. However for balance it might be a good idea to either have the
robot balancing, or else to have a card inserted into the PC.

This is one topic for which I have not been able to have a satisfactory
discussion or answer. People who build robots tend to think in terms of
having the processing power on the robot. This I believe is wrong.

  - Ian Parker