Kerim Aydin wrote:

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Kerim Aydin wrote:

In the context of a body of text (e.g. a rule), what's the
difference between claiming to defer and actually deferring?

A claim to defer is not necessarily successful, whereas actually
deferring is successful by definition.

Followup question:  I would say both of the below phrases
"explicitly claim to defer" to other rules.  So if they
differ from each other, how and why?

A.  "X is foo.  This rule defers to other Rules that set X."

B.  "X is foo.  Other Rules may set a different value for X."

Good question.  Also, as noted in the message I sent just a few
minutes ago, consider also

C.  "X is foo.  Other Rules may set a different value for X
     without conflicting with this rule."