Zephram wrote:
> It does not say "Goethe was deregistered".  It says e "is deemed to have
> been" deregistered, which clearly means that in some specific context e
> is to be treated as deregistered while tactily admitting that in general
> e was not in fact deregistered (or at least might not have been).

Exactly! Consider three Proposals all claiming to determine the "truth
of the gamestate":

  Proposal A:  Players are instructed to act as if Rule R was not
  in effect at time t.

This Proposal is ordering us to behave illegally.  It should be
ineffective in that directly orders a violation of the rules.

  Proposal B:  Players are instructed to act as if Provision A of
  Rule R, previously interpreted by a judge as X, was really
  interpreted as Y.

Seemingly muckier, but really asking us to ignore not only the
Rule, but the judge's legal interpretation.  So this is Proposal A
again, but even worse, in that it orders a violation
of the judicial system, as well.  I believe this is the case
with the proposal in question.

  Proposal C:  Upon the adoption of this proposal, the status
  of player P is hereby set to Y.

Outside the context of Rule R, or judicial interpretation X, this
legislative order sets something to Y.  Assuming there's nothing
inherently contradictory about Player P being Y, this should be an
effective alteration of the gamestate, an alteration that comes
into effect when the proposal takes effect, not altering the truth
of Y prior to its taking effect.

Please note, btw, that there is no longer any mention of retroactive
applicability in the Ruleset.  That has been repealed (and thus the
Rules are silent on the legality of retroactive application).

-Goethe