On Dec 12, 2007 4:25 PM, Zefram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ian Kelly wrote:
> >                         I've never seen any version of Arabic
> >numerals that was little-endian.
>
> Actually Arabic numerals in their original form *were* little-endian.
> Written right-to-left, like the rest of the Arabic script.  When they
> were adopted by Europeans, the same visual order was maintained:
> least-significant digit on the right.  The visual order was maintained
> even when numbers were mixed with left-to-right text.  Now everyone thinks
> it's a big-endian numeral system.  Worse, people think that big-endian
> is somehow more correct or more natural than little-endian, in general.

What you're saying is that the orientation of the number relative to
the page has never changed; then it seems to me that either
left-to-right big-endian or right-to-left little-endian (which are of
course identical) are acceptable; left-to-right little-endian and
right-to-left big-endian are not.  comex's example was left-to-right
little-endian, so it should not be allowed.

-root