On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Charles Reiss wrote:
> I don't think relying on an ordinary-language definition of contract is
> warranted because R1742 seems to define it. I think you should also examine
> the possiblity that the X agreement is a contract but is binding (in spite of
> its text).

The rules define a "binding agreement" as a contract, but it could be argued
that the rules don't define a "non-binding agreement", and that a "non-binding
agreement" could be a contract by common definition.  So looking at the common
definition of "contract", we find that it is also a "binding agreement", so a
"non-binding agreement" isn't a contract in either the Rules (which define a
contract as an agreement which binds) or in common terms (which do the same).

Still, you have a point, there are two choices:

1.  "Non-binding contract" is nonsense, so a "contract" document has no
legal status whatsoever if it claims to be non-binding (just like "decrease
by -1" is meaningless, CFJ 1826).  The claim of a contract to be non-binding
self-annuls the contract.

2.  "Non-binding" fails to modify the word "contract" (as a contract can't
be non-binding) but the document is still a contract and a binding one
(and membership must follow rules of R101 consent, etc.)

I'm leaning towards #1, because if a document claims to be something, you
shouldn't pick and choose pieces of the claim to make it correct.  Still,
I'll ponder longer and take more comments.

-Goethe