There has been recent debate over whether a failing action should be illegal
or not. Here's some arguments.

First, let's take a look at how performing actions by announcement works.
You write a message stating that you perform an action, and somehow, when you
send off the message, it happens. (Note that this is actually ISTID, except
it's rule-sanctioned.)

Now, the announcement that performs an action is obviously a statement. But it
does not seem to imply that anything is true or false - at a stretch, we can
say that it states that the action it purports to perform is successful. But I
think this is too much of a stretch - it does not in fact say that and it's
quite a leap to infer that from the action.

Let's look at announcements another way. What if, instead of something that
triggers an action, it's actually the action itself somehow? Personally I think
that this perspective doesn't really make all that much sense (I sure as heck
don't understand it) so I won't address it.

Anyway, all this goes to show is that it's basically impossible to assign
reasonable truth values to actions and even if you do it you need a large
amount of inferrence (too large, in my opinion).

Also note that if an action is not performed by announcement, it does not have
a statement attached to it and therefore can fail without consequence by some
recent (proto-)proposals.

I'd also argue that failing actions/announcements causing failing announcements
being illegal, even if the performer thinks they'll fail, is decidedly
non-Agoran.

The identity problem, however, is a large one. I support (I think it was)
Goethe's (proto-?)proposal to make being misleading against your identity
illegal.

(I also second ais523's arguments relating to the PNP's voting.)

tusho