On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, comex wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Ed Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 2282:  FALSE
>>
>> Even if the scam clause converting annotations into amendments
>> was added to the rules, any reasonable definition of "annotation"
>> requires that the annotation was true, which this purported
>> annotation was not.
>
> What, you think there has never been an annotation made in error?

By Murphy's logic, if there were past annotations made in error, then
they were just false (="not") annotations, but no-one knew that, and if
anyone questioned them/provided evidence we'd learn they had been
false.  That's not internally inconsistent with the ruling, anyway.

In previous versions of the ruleset, when annotations were more
rigidly defined (e.g. R789/5 "Such an [ordered by a judge] annotation,
while it exists, shall guide application of that Rule.") then
something that wasn't introduced with such a method was simply
a piece of text that the rulekeepor happened to include and not an
annotation.  Murphy is extrapolating the same principle when the rules
are (now) silent.

Personally, I find a more persuasive argument in noting an annotation
by common definition is "a note added by way of comment or explanation"
on a text and not a part of the text itself, therefore an annotation
is not a R2141-part of the "content", "form", or "text" of the rule,
and therefore does not have a rule's scope or regulatory abilities,
irrespective of the annotation's truth or falsity.

-Goethe