While we're debating executables for this, I thought I'd raise another
issue: scoring.

One of the features of "cooperation" experiments is that, rationally,
how well your opponent does shouldn't affect you.  For example, if your
opponent offers you $1 and keeps $19, the point of the game is that
rationally you should be happy because $1 is better than none, and
the $19 doesn't matter because in game terms, the total # of dollars
in "the whole game" (real life) is such that your opponent's total
only very, very distantly hurts the value of yours.

The interesting part of the psychology comes in because people are
willing punish the greedy $19-receivers at a cost to themselves,
showing that they are "evolved" to play the larger societal game of
punishing unfairness before they maximize their dollar.

For our purposes, that means there's the danger that "traditional
scoring" that would turn this experiment into a different kind
of game, more cutthroat and zero-sum, especially if each round is
scored based on differences.  Example, take outcomes for three
players, Greedy, Friendly, and Dupe:

Results:
Greedy vs. Dupe     :  11 (Greedy), 1 (Dupe)      Diff:  +10 Greedy
Friendly vs. Dupe   : 100 (Friendly), 98 (Dupe)   Diff:  +2  Friendly
Greedy vs. Friendly :  50 (Greedy), 50 (Friendly) Diff:  0

Ranked by per-game win average (suggested in contest proto I think):
Greedy    5
Friendly  1
Dupe     -4

Ranked by total:
Friendly  150
Dupe       99
Greedy     61

So the first method awards cutthroat play rather than cooperation (keep
totals down as long as per-game difference is high) while second awards
"cooperation", where Dupe, who didn't win any game directly, does
better than Greedy.  Of course since the game domain ultimately is small,
even the cooperative players have to assume some level of zero-sum-ness:
in the second method, the best play is probably "cooperate until the
'last minute' then do a quick betrayal for the game-winning point".
(This latter strategy can be defused somewhat by making the # of rounds
in one match random within a range so that there's no certain last round).

[Side note: we actually experimented in this in a contest I ran a few
years ago for players directly: a common pool resource game where you
tried to harvest fish---maximize your own catch against others while
leaving enough to grow into the next round.  Quickly learned that
uncertainty about when the "last round" was is v. important.
Incidentally, at the time I was wondering if people would form private
contracts to protect the resource: they didn't in part because contract
law was much less developed, maybe a partner of AAA should extend into
fishing?]

Just something to think about as it's very relevant to think about
ahead of time, as it affects the types of strategies that end up being
the best.  Thoughts?

-Goethe