On Sun, 28 Dec 2008, Alex Smith wrote:

> What's important here is that the time limit to perform an action (in
> this case, intention to perform a dependent action; although this is not
> normally considered a future event, the (including the time limit to
> perform an action) overrides this) is during a Holiday. The dependent
> action rules are written such that intention is required before a
> without-objection action can be resolved; to be precise, between 4 and
> 14 days earlier. In other words, the deadline to intend to a dependent
> action is 4 days before the action itself.

Murphy and I discussed this before doing first one, and came to the
opposite conclusion, that the time was based on the time of the
dependent action, not time-4 days (and thought about waiting 4 days to
be safe) but then didn't bother.

It's because the Intent is, in fact, in the words of R1769, simply
required before the dependent action attempt.  The fact that it is
required 4 days before means that it's also required 3 days before,
2 days before, etc. or any time between 0-4 days before.  This comes
from the way it's written, as a range "at least 4" and "at most 14"
"days earlier."  Earlier than what?  Not earlier than 4 days earlier
(that's a double earlier which isn't in the holiday rule) Rather,
earlier than the action attempt!

-Goethe