On Sun, 3 May 2009, Alex Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 08:11 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
>>                                   If the only action is "publishing
>> certain information" (and any publication of said information is
>> automatically such a Notice) that's covered by R101; other rules may it
>> ILLEGAL but not IMPOSSIBLE.  But if we take the view that what's actually
>> happening is that an Entity (the Notice) is being created[*], then the
>> creation is a regulated act, and Rules may make it IMPOSSIBLE to create
>> the entity.  I don't see anything in the rules generally to decide
>> between these two interpretations (other than the usual "tradition and
>> good of the game").
>
> I think, at the same time, we should fix such confusions such as
> submitting a partnership as a proposal, to make clear whether that sort
> of thing works or not. IMO, we should divorce game-defined entities from
> the actual text of messages; instead of publishing an NoV, for instance,
> we should cause players to announce that they create an NoV with
> particular information, and then the NoV comes into existence...

Speaking of proposals, I think the closest thing we have to answering
the question for NoVs in the current ruleset is the recent controversy
on "is a Proposal its text, or a container created by the publication
of an initial text?"  The end result of that (now legislatively clarified)
was the latter, so there's a precedent that NoVs and the like are created
entities and their creation is regulated.  (I think; there was so much
text written there I can't remember what was a precedent and what was
mere discussion).

By the way ais523, what do you think of the other question, on whether
"MAY with N Support" in general invokes dependent actions thus turning
a MAY into a CAN?

-Goethe