On Mon, 4 May 2009, Ed Murphy wrote:
> root and Craig are also credited with the Patent Title; either they
> achieved the condition under 1729/2 as well, or they were awarded the
> Patent Title by proposal, or an error was made years ago (dating back
> to at least 10 Nov 02, the oldest Herald's report in the a-o archive).

It's likely not an error, but rather moved.  At least when 1729/3 existed
(calling it a win), 1923/6 (Defined Unique Patent Titles) also contained:

      (d)  Maniac, which shall automatically be awarded to a Player
           submitting an Insane Proposal on which no one votes FOR.

That's from a July 2001 version of the ruleset; I don't have one from
the time of root and Craig's wins.

However, since that's defined under "unique" patent titles, there may
be an error in that only the last Maniac should have the title.  Unless
Maniac was somehow made non-unique prior to the wins.

ps. root, I meant to post anyway, bravo on the return of History!

-Goethe