Goethe wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Alex Smith wrote:
>> The speed of an internet connection is not just to do with how fast it
>> is at the ends, but also how fast it is in the middle, which tends to
>> depend more on politics between the various companies involved in the
>> Internet than any good technical reasons.
>
> Yeah, work building is a government scientific lab with some high-end
> computing facilities so has been on big networks a long time... I'm not
> surprised the post-building route is entirely different than it is from my
> house 1-2 miles away (office might even route things through high-speed
> centers in Boulder or somewhere for all I know).  It *is* odd that Murphy's
> site is the only one I've ever, ever noticed such a substantial difference
> in the faster-at-home direction, otherwise the lab is faster for everything
> I've noticed.  Maybe you've been committing treason and are being filtered
> by IntSec, Murph-Y?  I should try my office's wireless, which is wholly
> separate to-outside-only for visitors and I think goes through standard
> local phone co.  -G.

It's noticeably slower from my office too (particularly the Assessor
admin form for entering votes), but I never thought much of it because
my home is an obvious outlier.

The server isn't CPU-intensive (load average <= 0.05), but it does have
to compete for bandwidth with the family's incoming videos and torrents,
plus it hosts one 50 MB file that gets downloaded ~40 times per month.