coppro wrote:

> A very broken system. As the criminal rules are written, you don't even
> need to actually believe you were in the right, it just needs to be
> reasonable for you to have done so. I completely support criminal reform
> (N.B. my reform proposal would not have repaired this error) as the
> criminal system is broken in several regards.

How is this broken, and what else is broken?  If you add actual belief
as a criterion, then the judge must ask or risk inappropriateness.

The current system is comparable to Wikipedia's 'assume good faith'
policy, and (like that policy) is qualified by 'unless there's a
specific reason not to' (e.g. if the same officer frequently makes
the same type of error).