coppro wrote:

>       6. NEED NOT:  Failing to perform the described action does not
>          violate the rule in question.

Note that this has a similar quirk to MAY.  Consider:

  Rule 5001, Power=1: X MAY NOT Y.
  Rule 5002, Power=2: X MAY Y.

  Rule 5003, Power=1: X SHALL Z.
  Rule 5004, Power=2: X NEED NOT Z.

In each pair, the Power=2 rule fails to take precedence, because the
formal definitions don't conflict in the way that the ordinary-language
definitions would.  (Fixing this would require amending MAY and NEED
NOT by replacing "does not violate the rule in question" with "does
not violate the rules".  I'm pretty sure I proposed this for MAY a
while back, but don't remember what happened.)