coppro wrote:

> Ed Murphy wrote:
>> coppro wrote:
>>
>>>       6. NEED NOT:  Failing to perform the described action does not
>>>          violate the rule in question.
>> Note that this has a similar quirk to MAY.  Consider:
>>
>>   Rule 5001, Power=1: X MAY NOT Y.
>>   Rule 5002, Power=2: X MAY Y.
>>
>>   Rule 5003, Power=1: X SHALL Z.
>>   Rule 5004, Power=2: X NEED NOT Z.
>>
>> In each pair, the Power=2 rule fails to take precedence, because the
>> formal definitions don't conflict in the way that the ordinary-language
>> definitions would.  (Fixing this would require amending MAY and NEED
>> NOT by replacing "does not violate the rule in question" with "does
>> not violate the rules".  I'm pretty sure I proposed this for MAY a
>> while back, but don't remember what happened.)
> Better to amend MMI so that it generally obeys precedence, I think,
> otherwise most offences will be violations of MMI.

MMI just provides standard definitions; the rules using those
definitions are evaluated according to precedence.  The issue
with MAY (and thus NEED NOT, which parallels it) is that precedence
is only evaluated when a conflict occurs, and the above examples
don't create the conflicts that you would intuitively expect; this
becomes clear when you expand the definitions:

  5001 (Power=1) X performing Y violates 5001.
  5002 (Power=2) X performing Y does not violate 5002.

Now if 5002 expanded to "X performing Y does not violate the rules",
then it would conflict with and trump 5001.  (The problem is one-way;
if 5001 was changed to Power=3, then it would effectively trump 5002,
whether through non-conflict or through conflicting-and-winning.)