On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, ais523 wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 18:15 -0600, Roger Hicks wrote:
>>>
>>> Just recently.  At least a few cases in the past where N crimes led to
>>> N punishments.  Here, lately, we haven't cared enough and the net punishment
>>> was reasonable.  If someone truly profits from N illegal actions it's likely
>>> that N cases would be brought.  As an example, if coppro had actually
>>> profited from eir illegal draws last month, I would have methodically done
>>> em for each one.  (As it was, e failed, so stopping a little beyond the
>>> equitable level + wrist slap seemed ok).
>>>
>> You may have tried, but you likely would have only been able to ding
>> him for 2 or 3 violations (short of a proposal to inflict penalties
>> for all) due to the scaling support of NOVs, a case in point for
>> eliminating scaling support.
>>
> The number of NoVs possible would scale with the square of the number of
> people who were trying; and could be repeated every week. As a result,
> the total number of possible penalties would get very large very
> quickly.

Agreed.  IIRC you (BobTHJ) and I did 4 the first week; four per week gets
us there in plenty of time.  With the added feature that if the sum turns
out to be too many (because for example the scam failed and no harm was
done and profits were destroyed) the pacing gives people time to think
about it.  Not only that, but for the absolv-o-matic question that brought
this up, the player would have to hold onto the cards for a while (against
hand limits, card plays, whatnot) which just makes it harder.  -G.