On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, ais523 wrote:
> The important point behind giving notice is that it allows someone to
> react. The relevant point about the Points Party was that I planned to
> change the contract; and the contract allows parties to respond to a
> planned change by leaving the contract. The method by which I change the
> contract is surely irrelevant in this. (Going back to your Buffalo band
> example, suppose you'd said you were taking your wife, but instead
> arrived without. As far as I can tell, that would have no effect
> whatsoever on the city's duty to provide you with a brass band, just as
> the mechanism of the change to the contract is completely irrelevant as
> far as a warning that it might change is involved, whereas, for
> instance, the text of the change /is/ relevant, and it would have failed
> had I tried to change the contract to an entirely different text.)

I agree with everything you've said except "surely irrelevant".  The
issue is that there's no agreement on what information is in fact relevant.
Since you use a generally common definition of notice (not a strict rules-
specified one), what constitutes notice may rely on common expectations of
a "typical" contest member in context.  For that, it may be judged that a
misleading message on the intended method is indeed relevant (that's the
double-edged sword of using a common definition instead of a strict rules
definition - it opens the door to more context).  -G.