On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Sean Hunt wrote:
> On 07/29/2010 02:42 PM, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, I'm suddenly unconvinced that Win Announcements work at all for
> > most defined win conditions.
> >
> > A win announcement must be factually correct in announcing that
> > someone wins the game (R2186).
> >
> > But most win conditions are not triggered until a win announcement
> > is made (are triggered "upon" a win announcement).  Eg. R2188, 2223,
> > etc.
> >
> > So how can a win announcement be factually correct until a win
> > announcement is made?
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is self-affirming (works fine) or is circular
> > (broken).  Thoughts?
> >
> > REMAND is looking better all the time...
> >
> > -G
>
> I think it's self-affirming. If I say that I take an action, it is only a
> factually correct statement (and therefore legal) because the statement causes
> the action to be performed. Likewise, if I make a win announcement, it is a
> factually correct statement because the announcement causes a win.

Sleeping on it, I agree with you and Murphy.  In fact, I dimly recall way
back in 2007, we (Zefram especially) were arguing about the truth value of
imperatives; if you say "I do X" does that mean that that particular statement
of "I do X" is True?  Or if you say "I do X" and it fails are you guilty of
lying?  We discovered that it had been hotly debated in philosophy in recent
times  (see http://www.jstor.org/pss/184947).  In light of the fact that
professional philosophers couldn't agree, I think we came to varied "good
of the game" decisions for which self-affirming is quite reasonable.  And
also why the parenthetical clause on the first paragraph of R2215 now spells
it out explicitly.

> Also, with regards to my original complaint, my reading is that the proposal,
> which purports to award a win to various players, is not the same as stating
> that they win.

I agree with you; among the varied Appellants' arguments, this difference
between
"purporting" a win, "saying" that they win, and "causing" a win, is the one
most worth revisiting - I think I'll have to read everything about 5 more
times but you make a very good case here.

One thing in particular is that the CFJ 2808 might have been a better place
to bring this up; the appeals clock has run out, but that CFJ says it's true
that "Proposal 6740 awarded a win to one or more players" which implies the
proposal directly awarded the win, rather than purported to do so.

-G.