On Tue, 19 Apr 2011, omd wrote:
> 2) When we had Truthfulness, we didn't hesitate to punish people for
> ambiguous/unclear false statements, which by your interpretation would
> not be considered published.  (The most recent version of that rule
> used the phrase "make a public statement", which seems like it should
> be equivalent to "publish"; the Truthiness version actually used
> "publish statements").

I understand your other arguments but not this one.  I'm arguing that
publish = announce = make a public statement.  None of these are doing
a secondary action "by" announcement but all of these would bring
about a punishment for a false statement/announcement/publication.

But following on, "do X by announcement that I do X" = "do X by
publication that I do X"  = "do x by making a public statement that
I do X".  Again, no distinction.

-G.