G. wrote:

> I understand your other arguments but not this one.  I'm arguing that
> publish = announce = make a public statement.  None of these are doing
> a secondary action "by" announcement but all of these would bring
> about a punishment for a false statement/announcement/publication.
>
> But following on, "do X by announcement that I do X" = "do X by
> publication that I do X"  = "do x by making a public statement that
> I do X".  Again, no distinction.

Rule 478 explicitly defines both "publish" for any message and "by
announcement" for actions.  It doesn't explicitly define "by
announcement" for non-actions; in that case, ordinary-language
equivalence to "by publication" seems plausible, e.g.
    "a Bard CAN do X by publishing a sonnet"
  = "a Bard CAN do X by announcement of a sonnet"