As you can see in past threads, players typically reply to the Promotor's
distributions of proposals with FOR, AGAINST, or PRESENT (no vote but prevents
a proposal from failing due to a lack of quorum of voters) for each proposal.
Then the Assessor collects votes in a "voting results" message and resolves the
decisions, causing voted-for proposals to be adopted.
Some details:
- The voting period is typically a week; votes between the end of the voting
period and resolution don't count.
- You have to be a player at the time of distribution to vote.
- You can retract/change votes.
- You usually have multiple votes on a given proposal; you can split them
between options, but just saying "FOR" is enough to cast all your votes FOR,
etc. (R2280).
- The ratio of FOR to AGAINST has to be >= the adoption index for the proposal
to be adopted; higher AI lets the proposal affect higher-powered rules.
- Voting has been democratic for virtually all proposals for a long time, but
afaik the recent reintroduction of VVLOP should change that (which makes the
game more interesting); you can still submit Democratic proposals if you want a
fair vote.

Not sure if that answers your questions.