On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Tanner Swett <swe...@mail.gvsu.edu> wrote:
> it regulates the game
> by instructing the players to interpret the rules as if the statement
> "it is LEGAL to shout 'CREAMPUFF' if and only if it is ILLEGAL to
> shout 'CREAMPUFF'" were true. If the statement were true, then TRUE
> would be an appropriate judgement for a CFJ about it, and FALSE would
> be an inappropriate judgement for a CFJ about it. Thus, because we're
> instructed to act as if the statement as true, this means that TRUE
> *is* an appropriate judgement for any CFJ about it, and FALSE *is* an
> inappropriate judgement.

Arguments: ...but if the statement were true, it would also be true
that every judgement is appropriate and inappropriate, due to the
principle of explosion.  There is no alternative to paraconsistent
logic.  Any formal system that can be used to assign a truth value to
a statement like "TRUE is an appropriate judgement", but which does
not trivially derive it from the contradiction elsewhere, is
paraconsistent by definition.  The answer to this CFJ merely depends
on how you want to make your logic paraconsistent.  One method, which
you seem to support, is to simply blow away whatever axioms would make
the system inconsistent - or possibly only instantiations of axioms
with quantifiers that make the system inconsistent - which I suppose
could be called preservationism.  The method we seem to traditionally
favor is to propagate indeterminacy, but only along explicitly defined
lines, which is most like a three-valued logic.  A benefit of
preservationism is that it's consistent with how we deal with
contradictions that occur between clauses rather than within a single
clause (we disregard one of the clauses); drawbacks include that it's
boring and precludes many forms of win by paradox (whether it
precludes all depends on whether you lump a failure to define
something in with inconsistencies).

See: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logic-paraconsistent/