On Tue, 2013-06-25 at 15:58 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Charles Walker wrote:
> > I have heard of the UNDEAD a few times before, but may I ask what it is?
>
> You can certainly ask, but if the above action was at all successful, I dare
> not say.

Well, given that I have no particular UNDEAD ties, I can talk more
freely than you can, because I don't know anything on the subject that
isn't public knowledge.

Basically, a long time back (before the era when contracts dominated
gameplay, but when contract-like constructs nonetheless existed), a
group of Agorans decided to make an agreement/construct/similar binding
structure with, apparently the purpose of hiding its own details. This
included such tricks as retroactively self-amending itself and replacing
itself with another agreement, leaving the first agreement existing but
useless, if anyone tried to compel its members to determine what it
said. (As far as I know, this doesn't/didn't actually work, but I don't
think it was ever tested.)

Apart from ehird, Agora mostly just left the UNDEAD alone. (G. most
often responded to ehird's probing via making throwaway statements that
hinted at some sort of internal economy, that were also completely
unverifiable. Eir message earlier UTC-today is another example of that.
It seems most likely to me that they're all bluffs, but who knows.)
Perhaps they were disappointed that they didn't get to try more active
scamming to stay secret. Eventually, it almost certainly disappeared as
an Agoran legal construct with the repeal of contracts. Given that G. is
apparently a member (or at least, very convincingly pretending to be one
over the past several years), though, it seems likely that its members
are interpreting it as an informal agreement and still maintaining
secrecy even though the rules of Agora would not punish them for doing
so. (Whether the other members of the UNDEAD would attempt to punish
them for doing so would, of course, be another matter.)

--
ais523