On Jul 19, 2013, at 4:41 PM, omd wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Tanner Swett <swe...@mail.gvsu.edu> wrote:
>> Hm, this seems like it could be scammed. If a rule of power 1.1 were
>> enacted, stating, "A proposal with power greater than 1 CANNOT apply any
>> changes", then Rule 106 would follow this instruction, thereby preventing
>> proposals with greater power from taking effect.
>
> Thus "Preventing a proposal from taking effect is a secured change".
> I interpret categorically preventing a proposal from making changes as
> preventing it from taking effect (however, I think the sneaky tricks
> my Wisconsin proposal would play would be able to get around this -
> timing attacks are fun.)

I don't think this interpretation is consistent with the text of Rule 106. The
rule states that *when* a proposal takes effect, the changes it specifies are
applied; this seems to imply that the event of a proposal taking effect is a
distinct event from the event of the changes being applied.

—Machiavelli