On Mon, 2014-10-27 at 06:24 +0000, Eritivus wrote:
> Why were contracts repealed? So far all I've discovered is that the
> repeal occurred during a lull in Feb 2010.
>
> "Contracts" was the obvious answer to a question I had about an
> idea, so I was pleasantly surprised to see your proposal.
>
> I'm FOR unless I see good reasons not to bring this back.

I think people just wanted a change. Also, we'd reached the point where
contract scams had started repeating.

A while later, we brought in Promises as a replacement. They were never
used for the purpose I'd originally intended for them (currencies that
players could mint using their own actions as backing), because people
put a bunch of conditions on them to make them work basically like
contracts. They nonetheless lead to interesting gameplay, though.

Perhaps we should try to find yet another different way to make binding
agreements. We've already tried pragmatic (contracts) and platonic
(promises). There may be others, though.

(Agora definitely benefits from having some sort of player-mintable
gamestate around, because that's the usual way to bootstrap a working
economy. Although economies based entirely within the rules have
apparently worked out in the past, I've never seen it happen; all the
economies since I started playing have had a large player-driven
component.)

--
ais523