In general, I'd tend to agree with G..

- No *platonic* failures need apply unless a truly verifiable form of
randomness is used; in lieu of that, you can always cheat just by
lying about a roll, so bad randomness would always be a SHALL
violation.

- The basic requirement is that you SHALL make a reasonable attempt to
ensure no irregularity occurs (or at least minimize irregularity) in
the rolling process.  An irregularity exists if the mapping of dice
rolls performed to hypothetical final gamestate result, considering
all players' actions during the relevant time period, does not have
the distribution expected by the rules.  For a variety of reasons, an
irregularity could still occur despite everyone involved making such
an attempt, but it's unlikely enough that we don't really have to
worry about it.

- An additional requirement is that everyone SHALL avoid making
decisions regarding which they have privileged information (i.e. as
yet unannounced rolls) that would give em an unfair advantage.  That
includes a decision not to act.

- The legality of most of ais523's hypotheticals can be easily
resolved under these metrics, with some special cases:

>      C. An officer selects a random result, then waits a week. The
>        following week, e communicates it to Agora.

If they actually looked at the result (as opposed to blindly saving it
to a file) and could stand to gain in any way during the next week
based on this knowledge, they would breach the second requirement.
Otherwise, it wouldn't breach either of my requirements, precisely
because it would be hard to demonstrate any harm in practice.  Because
there is no real justification for queueing up randomness this way,
you could add an additional requirement to communicate results with
haste, but it wouldn't be essential.

>      N. An office is empty. A nonplayer selects a random result.
>         Disliking the result, e does not register (leading to no visible
>         evidence of any of this on the mailing lists).
If there is no visible evidence, then it's undetectable and therefore
unavoidable, but probably not a big enough problem in practice to
justify verifiable randomness by itself.  Supposing e instead flaunted
the fact for some reason...
>      R. An officer selects a random result. Disliking it, e deregisters.
If e happens to announce the precise nature of what e dislikes, it
would be legal and obligatory for a replacement officer to ensure the
final result ends up that way (re-rolling anything that was not
disclosed), to minimize the irregularity.

In both cases, the person would violate the requirement, just with
punishment being bad form due to their non-playerhood.  If it actually
became an issue, it would likely be due to people with the habit of
ping-ponging playerhood, and we could punish them the next time they
registered.  Under the old R101, in the second case doing so would
arguably be a violation of the right to deregister (if they planned to
deregister given a bad result, the roll itself could arguably be
punished, but good luck proving that), but that clause no longer
exists.  In practice, most likely such fits of pique would be one-off
cases not really worth punishing.