I'm pretty much 100% on board with either HyperKitty or GroupServer. As for
a redesign of the home page, if possible, I'd like it to:

1) Show whichever forum system we switch to, so prospective players can
actually see what play looks like without switching between three pages or
subscribing.
2) Link to a filter that shows all posts marked as "[OFF] Ruleset" or
whatever, so players can immediately find the newest ruleset without a
manually updated link or tracking it down themselves.
3) Link to a page with all the history/background that's currently included
in the front page, and including recent history.

I also don't know who manages what, wrt the site and the lists, but if we
could use one of the three existing lists (agora-official?) with the new
software that would make the transfer that much less painful.