> On May 15, 2017, at 6:04 PM, Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Less important than it might seem; a player who isn't doing
> anything typically doesn't create any major gamestate differences from
> a nonplayer.

An idle player has, at least, a few meaningful effects:

* An idle player draws a salary on months when Agora has Shinies with which to
pay one,

* An idle player can be a member of an Organization, and can keep a moribund
organization from being destroyed.

> Secretary: One of the more difficult offices.

I’ve alluded to this before, but to make it explicit: the Organization-tracking
parts of this office - budgets, lockouts, charters, and so on - are fairly
straightforward. I don’t find them to be much of a burden at all, although that
could change if we start making more extensive use of Organizations at some
point. My biggest burden on that front is keeping the ACU balances up to date -
a job I’m planning to abandon at some point in the next couple of weeks, as
Shinies have subsumed what interest I had in that Organization.

If someone wants to take over keeping books for the ACU, please, be my guest.

However, the economic elements that office has accumulated _are_ more
complicated. The Secretary, right now, effectively needs to read every
-business, -official, or backup-list message, just in case it contains
something that could be construed as a Shiny transaction or a change in Heir.
(The need to track Heirs will attach to the Surveyor, as well.) This is
considerably more work than making sure nobody’s Expenditure exceeds 100 and
that the charters go out once a month.

I’m loathe to suggest yet more offices, but i’d be strongly in favour of moving
the economic aspects out of the Secretary’s office and combining them with the
Surveyor’s office in some way. We’ve had a Bankor, a Treasuror, and probably
other names for that office before; no reason we can’t have them again.

-o