"Using existing terminology (I hope correctly), an action which CAN be
performed, if the rules impose no other constraints, can be done in
any way at all"

Here's a list (it's quite short) of CANs w/out "by announcement", "w/o
objection" or anything similar.
"The Promotor CAN distribute a proposal which is in the Proposal Pool
at any time."
"A player CAN expedite a proposal whose adoption index is at most 1.5,
in a message containing the character string "[Expedition]" in the
subject line,"
"then the Prime Minister CAN and SHALL, once and in a timely fashion,
appoint a Laureled player to the office of Speaker."
"Once per week and except as otherwise forbidden by this rule, the
current Prime Minister CAN issue a Cabinet Order and perform the
action(s) authorized by that Order."