On Sat, 23 Dec 2017, David Nicol wrote:
> Initially, (1994?) Nomic World was a MUD, before MUDs started getting
> called MOOs. Synchronous communication was difficult with players from lots
> of different time zones, and voting was done with some persistent game
> objects. A lot of serious discussion actually happened by e-mail because
> otherwise it was difficult to keep track of it.

IIRC, one of the "game objects" was a message board system, if you were
in a room with a message board you could enter "message board" mode
and it acted like a newsgroup (remembering which messages you had read,
etc.). There were separate boards for proposals, CFJs, discussions, etc.
Since others could see you and chat while you were reading/writing, it
was basically as if you were playing agora, but logging into email also
logged you into IRC.  (Don't remember using actual email to play but sure
some people did).

One of the big issues (relevant now) was that we treated the "game
state" as a platonic thing from the beginning, and the state of the game
objects frequently didn't match the platonic state (eg as decided by CJFs),
which caused particular difficulties with the moderators.  So after it
moved to Agora (email only, with gamestate reflected in after-the-fact
records), there was considerable resistance to going back to being
restricted by programming-driven "reality".

Nomic World ran ~Aug 1992  to Jun 1993.