This reminds me of a concept I ran across while reading an essay about Nomic one time called Fork World, where the guiding principle of play is "no coercion". In Fork World, the group of players who vote against each rule change and the group of players who vote for are sent to their own, non-interacting universes where their rules hold power. While it is an interesting concept, the author points out that after N decisions, the playerbase would be split into 2^n different groups. In Agora's case, this would be a number over two thousand digits long and I'm pretty sure we've never had that many players.

The essay in question is here: http://shirky.com/writings/nomic.html