On Wed, 2019-07-31 at 17:27 -0400, D. Margaux wrote:
> > On Jul 31, 2019, at 4:54 PM, Jason Cobb <jason.e.c...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Gratuitous:
> >
> > The 4 week period gives plenty of time for all of these rule
> > changes to be effected in ~2 weeks.
> >
> > Start of Week 0: write proposal that repeals any protections
> > (including AIAN). Distribute this proposal.
> >
> > Week 0: voting on proposal to repeal protections.
> >
> > End of Week 0: resolve decision to adopt proposal to repeal all
> > protections.
> >
> > Start of Week 1: write proposal that does whatever the hell you
> > want.
> >
> > Week 1: voting on proposal to do whatever.
> >
> > End of Week 1: resolve decision to adopt proposal to do whatever.
> >
> > [Obviously there's some extra time there because proposals aren't
> > distributed and assessed instantly, but you get the point.]
> >
> > Thus arbitrary rule changes are possible in 2-3 weeks, assuming
> > that distributing/voting on/assessing proposals counts as a
> > "reasonable combination of actions by players".
> >
> > Jason Cobb
>
> I disagree for a variety of reasons.
>
> First, your example here would be an inseparable group of changes
> that result in Agora being ossified.  Under the Rule, "If any . . .
> inseperable group of changes to the gamestate would cause Agora to
> become ossified . . . it is cancelled and does not occur, rules to
> the contrary notwithstanding."
That's not inseparable. It'd be easy for the first change to happen
without the second.

> Second, all I need to do is identify one rule change that is
> IMPOSSIBLE to enact in 4 weeks, and I think it's trivially easy to do
> that.
>
> Here's a rule change that is trivially IMPOSSIBLE to enact: "Enact a
> power 100 Rule that states: 'It is, and always has been, IMPOSSIBLE
> to enact this rule.'"
It's not IMPOSSIBLE to enact that in the future. (Agora /doesn't/
regulate the state of the past, but that doesn't mean it /couldn't/.
Besides, nothing implies that that rule would have force; we could
redefine "Power 100" to mean "has no legal effect" or "means the
opposite of what it says" or whatever in less than two weeks.)

--
ais523