On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 21:39, Alexis Hunt <aler...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 19:38, AIS523--- via agora-discussion <
> agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2020-01-16 at 15:05 -0800, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
>> wrote:
>> > Now here we are a third time.  Whatever we can say about CFJ 3694,
>> > the judgement is suitably unintuitive such that almost no one reading
>> > the rules without this precedent/context thinks that zombie auctions
>> > actually work...
>>
>> This strikes me as an almost identical situation to a rule stating that
>> a player CAN perform a given action, but not specifying a mechanism to
>> do so. I'm not up to date with our existing precedents on that,
>> though.
>>
>> I'm reminded of the concept of ω-inconsistency in logic: a system is
>> ω-inconsistent if it holds a statement of the form "some integer has
>> property X" to be true, but also holds statements of the form "N does
>> not have propety X" to be true for every specific integer N. A rule
>> stating that something is possible without specifying a mechanism to
>> perform it seems to introduce an ω-inconsistency into Agora.]
>>

> The logical fix, perhaps, is to make announcement the default mode of
> action, including perhaps allowing anyone to cause a non-person to do
> something it is required to do, by announcement .
>
> -Alexis

In the alternative, perhaps we should codify ISIDTID and maybe argue that
we should eliminate actions done other than by announcement, or at least
clean up existing examples. Official reports, for instance, would hardly be
hard-done by by requiring just a tad more explicitness (or allowing a
subject line to imply the announcement, say), and that might help clean up
our messy reporting controversy. Similarly, it's not actually clear to me
how, exactly, motions of no confidence work, since the rule provides two
contradictory methods of performing the action (one by sending a public
message with a given subject line, and one by announcement, once you
unravel the definitions).

-Alexis