ais523 wrote:
> This strikes me as an almost identical situation to a rule stating that
> a player CAN perform a given action, but not specifying a mechanism to
> do so. I'm not up to date with our existing precedents on that,
> though.

I'm not altogether sure that it is, actually. R2545 says:

      An Auction is a way for entities to give away items in exchange
      for a currency.

which, I believe D. Margaux's judgement argues, is equivalent to:

      Entities CAN give away items in exchange for a currency by
      Auction.

You can agree or disagree with eir interpretation, obviously, but I
don't see how it's possible to argue that eir interpretation doesn't
provide a mechanism. The mechanism is an "Auction".

-twg