On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 10:23, omd via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 9:07 PM Gaelan Steele via agora-discussion
> <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> > Personally, I’m vaguely of the opinion that we should switch to they/them
> > instead of Spivak in general. Our use of Spivak now feels like using
> > Betamax in 1990—sure, it was probably better, but the other one won and
> > it’s silly to keep doing our own thing.
>
> +1.

I find the use of Spivak pronouns quirky and fun. Like when a science
fiction or fantasy novel forces me to learn a few words of some
invented language, drawing me a bit more into the author's constructed
world.

That said, I think my attitude partly comes from having thought of
Agora's ruleset as some venerable ancient artifact when I first read
it. I wouldn't be seriously opposed to the change, if the older
players don't mind it. It would be nice if there were some clever way
to embed some remnant of it in the rules somewhere as a memento, e.g.
if there were just one capitalized phrase somewhere of ceremonial
importance that had a traditional Spivak pronoun, which we could
(correctly) say is written that way because it dates back to the
"ancient" days when our language was slightly different from its
modern form.

- Falsifian