On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 3:08 PM Jason Cobb via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 3/22/20 1:50 AM, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
> > Here are three protos relating to the powers/duties of the Prime Minister.
> >
> > First off there's "Executive Expansion", which tweaks the way that
> > Cabinet Orders work and adds several new ones. These are a combination
> > of powers that seem like they should be available to a head of
> > government and ones that are just fun. I will separate any of the
> > additions if they prove controversial.
>

> I really like these ideas. A few comments inline.
>

> > ---
> > Title: Executive Expansion
> > Adoption index: 2.0
> > Author: Aris
> > Co-authors:
> >

> > Amend Rule 2451, "Executive Orders", to read in full:
> >
> >   Once per week, except as otherwise forbidden by this rule, the
> >   current Prime Minister CAN issue a Cabinet Order by announcement
> >   to cause the effect specified by the order. The Prime Minister
> >   CANNOT issue the same executive order more than once in a month.
> >
> >   - Consultation: The Prime Minister enters a specified case, the current
> >     judgement of which was assigned within the past year, into Moot.
>

> A year seems like a really long time for this; there could be a lot of
> cases since decided on that precedent. If the original judgement were
> then overturned, would those cases still be good law?

I'm happy to reduce it to a month.

> >   - Pardon: N of a person's blots are expunged, where N is the number
> >     of blots e received from a specified fine. This power SHOULD be used
> >     only when extraordinary factors counsel in favor of clemency, and the
> >     and any further mention of the fine SHOULD include the fact that
> >     it has been pardoned.
>

> This could go back to any fine a person has ever received (even one that
> was already pardoned). So, if I got a particularly large fine, that
> could be pardoned repeatedly to remove a lot of blots.

Changed it to "a specified fine that has not previously been pardoned".

> > ----
> > Title: Specially Embargoed Entities
> > Adoption index: 3.0
> > Author: Aris
> > Co-authors:
> >
> > If a proposal entitled "Executive Expansion" has been adopted in the last
> > week,
> > amend Rule 2451, "Executive Orders", by inserting after the list item
> > beginning
> > "Dive", the following new list item:
> >  "Embargo: For the next 48 hours, the specified entity is placed under
> > embargo."
> >
> > Otherwise, if a proposal entitled "Executive Expansion" is resolvable, but
> > the
> > Assessor has not yet resolved it, glare pointedly at the Assessor and
> > std::exit(1).
>

> Oh no, what would I ever do if I was glared at /pointedly/? I don't
> think I'd be able to live with myself...

If you'd prefer, I could create a few blots in your possession? ;)

> > Otherwise, amend Rule 2451, "Executive Orders", by inserting after the list
> > item beginning "Dive", the following new list item:
> >   "Embargo (Speaker): For the next 48 hours, the specified entity is placed
> >    under embargo."
> >

> > Create a new power 3.0 rule, entitled "Embargoes", with the following text:
> >   Rules to the contrary notwithstanding:
>

> You might want to make sure that Agora can't be placed under embargo.

It can. That's actually by design. The consequences of Agora being
embargoed... really aren't that bad. No zombie auctions, no flipping
the Festivity, and that's really about it.

> >   E. While an office is under embargo, the officer who holds it CANNOT
> > exercise
> >      any of its powers and NEED NOT fulfill any of its duties;
>

> Is an office an entity?

It better be; both interest and officeholder and office switches.
Beyond that, I think Rule 1006 pretty clearly makes it one.

> >   F. While a contract is under embargo, no portion of the contract is
> >      considered to be in its body; and
> >   G. An asset CANNOT be created if it would be under embargo immediately
> > after
> >      its creation.
> >
> >   Putting an entity under embargo is secured at power 2.0, and no entity can
> >   be under embargo more than 4 days in an Agoran Week. Rules and regulations
> >   cannot be under embargo.
>

> You might want to make it more explicit what happens after 4 days of
> embargo.

Done. I also changed week to month.

-Aris