On 5/11/20 8:28 AM, nch via agora-discussion wrote:>> Maybe there could be an office for Agora academia specifically? The
'Professor'? Has a bi-annual report of all theses, perhaps? Maybe we could
make a campaign to make a timeline of Agora history? I dunno.

For those unfamiliar with what I mean from Blognomic, the main wiki page
has a chronological list of every dynasty, and each dynasty follows the
same general structure of the AA that started the dynasty, the main
proposals of the dynasty, and then how it was won:
* List: https://wiki.blognomic.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
* Dynasty example:
https://wiki.blognomic.com/index.php?title=The_Twenty-Sixth_Dynasty_of_Kevan
[gonna respond to this and the portion below together]

I believe Agora is lagging behind Blognomic when it comes to nomic theses
and academia. I'd suggest to find some kind of easy template to fill out to
record history like Blognomic has, it doesn't need to be exhaustive - I
believe that it definitely shouldn't be exhaustive, really (because if it's
too much effort to fill in, it just won't be filled in often enough and
people will forget to do it and so on) and definitely some regular report
that has links to Agora theses on it so that they're not lost in the void
of nobody remembering about them.

I think Blognomic has really benefited from dynasties here. They have very
clear start and stop points and themes. Part of the reason people don't write
those kinds of summaries in Agora, I suspect, is that they don't even know
where to begin and end. I don't think the nature of Agora is really fitted to
standardized time-frames since sometimes there's big shifts and sometimes
there's very gradual ones. Yearly or biyearly would certainly help out, but an
even better solution would probably be actually going back and identifying
specific time-frames for further study so later people can just dive in and
know where to begin and end.

I think that there's a problem subdividing time periods in Agora.
There's not always a clear date where a certain era started and ended.
PAoaM, for instance, entered drafting in November 2017 and was finally
enacted in February 2018, but was discovered to be buggy, so a new
proposal was developed to patch the game and let us start playing, which
didn't come out for another month.

So, do we classify the current coin era (and subsequently the PAoaM
epoch) as beginning in April, when we actually started playing the
minigame? Or do we say it began in November, where the symbolic shift
away from the economy of the time started? I remember G. and others had
their own ideas for reforms about the same time I started making drafts,
so their ideas are also a part of this movement, making it possibly an
even greater marker of the end of the shiny era.

--
Trigon