On 2020-05-24 23:46, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 9:50 PM Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
On 2020-05-24 15:44, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
        An Associate of Nomic degree SHOULD be awarded for a thesis that adds
        appreciably to Agoran culture, but fails to qualify for another degree.
        Baccalaureate level degrees (which include the J.N) SHOULD be awarded
when
        the thesis demonstrates a substantial contribution, Magisteriate degrees
        for a remarkable contribution, and Doctorate degrees for an exceptional
        contribution. Any degree at the Doctorate level SHOULD take into account
        the awardee's academic history and participation in Agora over time.

I'm not sure the majority of this paragraph is really necessary. This
doesn't really add any more specificity to the system we already use. If
you're intent on keeping it, though, maybe describe to what exactly the
"contribution" should go. As it stands right now, though, I think it's
unnecessary. The last sentence is good though; it gives more meaning to
the Doctorate level and its standards.

It may not be necessary, but I want there to be text somewhere that
explains the standard. What's the difference? It isn't written down
anywhere. I'd prefer for the rule to be as specific as I can make it,
given our admittedly vague standards. At least this way there are a
set of recommendations.

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. My point is that I don't think we need to codify this in a separate paragraph. The hierarchy of degrees should imply on its own that each level is a greater contribution, and the paragraph that defines it in the rule is no more clear than the list itself. Besides, I think that some things in Agora, for instance the understanding of what merits which degree, *should* be completely informal. Maybe this is not a valid point because the proposal doesn't actually limit anything. I just still feel like it's a bit unnecessary.

--
Trigon