On 2020-05-24 23:50, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 8:26 PM nch via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

On Sunday, May 24, 2020 4:44:42 PM CDT Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
wrote:
This is a reform of the degrees system. It has been bothering me for
ages that we don't have clear criteria for what theses qualify for
each degree. For instance, no one seems to be sure whether artistic
works can qualify for a degree. This proposal would establish
standards (in terms of level of contribution, not word-count), create
a separate track of degrees for artistic works, and (while I'm at it)
rename Doctor degrees to Doctorate degrees to match all the other
degrees in being gender neutral. I hope this will be favorably
received, but I'm somewhat scared that G. will find something in here
to grumble about, so I'm submitting it as a proto first. :)

-Aris
---
Title: College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences
Adoption index: 3.0
Author: Aris
Co-author(s):

Amend Rule 1367, "Degrees", by changing it to read as follows:

Certain patent titles are known as degrees. The degrees are

       - Associate of Nomic                 (A.N.)
       - Juris Doctorate of Nomic           (J.N.)
       - Baccalaureate of Nomic Artistry    (B.N.A.)
       - Baccalaureate of Nomic             (B.N.)
       - Magisteriate of Nomic Artistry     (M.N.A)
       - Magisteriate of Nomic              (M.N.)
       - Doctorate of Nomic History         (D.N.Hist.)
       - Doctorate of Nomic Artistry        (D.N.Art.)
       - Doctorate of Nomic Law             (D.N.Law.)
       - Doctorate of Nomic Science         (D.N.Sci.)
       - Doctorate of Nomic Philosophy      (D.N.Phil.)

       Degrees are ranked in the order they appear in this rule, with
       degrees listed later being ranked higher. A specific degree CANNOT
       be awarded to any person more than once.

Is it intentional that this means there's a hierarchy among the Doctorates
(and Magisteriates and Baccalaureates)? Seems a little strange conceptually.
Although very appropriate for Agora that Philosophy ranks highest.

*shrug*
It's that way now, but I can change it. It is strange conceptually.

Perhaps a few tiers?

- Associate Tier: A.N.
- Baccalaureate Tier: J.N., B.N.A., B.N.
- Magesteriate Tier: M.N.A., M.N.
- Doctorate Tier: D.N.*

Each tier rates higher than all those above it, representing an increase in contribution, but each variety of degree in each tier is considered equal.

--
Trigon