> Because what makes a judgement "appropriate" as per R591 is its specific
> relationship to the statement, not the intended statement.
>
> -G.

I was wondering whether evidence of the author's intention can affect
the meaning of a statement.

I'm pretty sure the meaning of a statement can depend on context. E.g.
the statement of CFJ 3735 is "There was only one valid bid, namely for
1 coin by CuddleBeam.", which is only meaningful if you know what
auction it's referring to.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say evidence of intention
could form part of that context.

I'd even go so far as to say that in some situations, there's no
distinction between intended and actual meaning. E.g. if I get a
personal email from a friend and have trouble understanding one of the
sentences, I will try to figure out what they meant; there's no reason
for me to imagine the statement has some kind of "pure" meaning
divorced from intention.

The way I see it, CFJ statements (and rule texts) are a different from
that example because as public statements it's more important that we
come to a common agreement on what they mean than it is to correctly
infer the author's intended meaning. But I don't think it
automatically follows that evidence of intention plays no role.

This topic has been bugging me ever since some recent CFJ
discussion(s) (don't remember which) in which authorial intent was
dismissed as irrelevant to the meaning of the rules, because it's not
explicitly mentioned in R217. I think that when R217 says "the text of
the rules takes precedence", it is requiring us to interpret the
meaning of the rules text, and it's possible for intention to enter
the picture there.

Of course, in the particular CFJ being discussed, I presented the
evidence of my intention after making the statement. Maybe that means
it shouldn't be taken into consideration.

- Falsifian