On 6/4/2020 8:47 AM, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 11:43 AM Rebecca wrote:
>>
>> Blots are about to be significantly harder to remove, and the general
>> Agoran expectation is that certain crime is pretty much constant and
>> usually no big deal (mainly slightly late officer reports, perhaps things
>> like trivial faking). Why don't we reflect that in our rules?
>>
>> I create the following proposal
>> Title: Slap on the wrist
>> AI: 2
>> Chamber: Justice
>> Text:  Amend rule 2555 "Blots" by replacing the text "To levy a fine of N
>> on a person, where N is a positive integer, is to grant em N blots." with
>> the text "To levy a fine of N on a person, where N is a positive integer or
>> zero, is to grant em N blots"
>> --
>> From R. Lee
>
> I'm happy to have this discretion to use, but I also wonder whether it
> wouldn't be better to either remove the minimum of 3 for expungement
> with apologies or allow apologies to be considered when determining
> the fine's amount.

One trouble with the Referee Carding system was that everyone got green
cards - given the option of "issuing a warning", it became sort of like
our current discussion of Honour - issuing something above a green card
could be seen as a major rebuke instead of a minor slap, and cause hurt
feelings.  So in writing the Levy a Fine languauge we purposefully left
fines of 0 blots off the table and went for the "impose the fine but make
it forgivable" option instead.

I've thought about bringing 0 fines back a few times when obvious (minor)
injustices happen, but hopefully with a standard written, such that 0 is
the exception rather than the rule?

-G.

  • DIS: Re: BUS: [Propos... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
    • Re: DIS: Re: BUS... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
      • Re: DIS: Re:... Rebecca via agora-discussion
        • Re: DIS:... nch via agora-discussion
        • Re: DIS:... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
          • Re: ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
            • ... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion