On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 3:13 PM Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 7:20 AM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion <
> agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> > in a

> > > I retract Vote Manipulation.
> > >
> > > The forbidden arts thing doesn't even consider intent! Grumbles. This
> > > one *does* consider intent though, and that's a fair argument against
> > > it. I maintain that requiring people to at least *hide* what they're
> > > doing could make it more interesting. Still, since it's you, and you
> > > care this much, I'll retract the proposal. Next time maybe ask before
> > > taking the honor? "Aris, I *really* think this is a bad idea", coming
> > > from you, would have had the same effect.
> >
> > You're absolutely right.  I've been too snippy lately.  Maybe a little
> > triggered this week with thoughts about "criminalization" of stuff.  No
> > excuse, you were clearly working in good faith there, I'm sorry Aris.
> >
> > And don't worry, your tone came across as mildly annoyed. :)
> >
> > [
> > As a side note, I've noticed recently there's a bit of divergence about
> > how people treat the importance of Notices of Honour.  I've mostly thought
> > of NoHs as "expressing mild annoyance" rather than anything more serious
> > (though sometimes I mis-judge the tone in the justification).  But the
> > term "Honour" makes it sound like something more worth defending and
> > fighting about so it comes across as "escalation" rather than "let's
> > diffuse things by blowing off steam in a silly honour fight"?  Not sure
> > it's anything that needs "fixing" but I'll keep that in mind, definitely...
> > ]
>

> Personally, I take honor not as something that needs to be defended but as
> a measure of whether I'm doing the right thing or not. If someone is
> decreasing my honor for X, that's a sign I shouldn't do X. If they're
> increasing my honor for X, I should do more X. The reason I got mildly
> peeved here is that I felt like I was just throwing around ideas. So it was
> like... if my ideas are bad, just tell me that they're bad? It doesn't feel
> like the sort of action that it makes sense to encourage or discourage.
>
> It is in fair part my fault for using proposals rather than protos for
> ideas. Ideally, a proposal should signify "this is ready for voting" and a
> proto should signify "this is an idea that is ready for discussion". I've
> been basically ignoring that convention without communicating it, so shame
> on me for that. On the other hand, is it even a good idea to discourage
> people from producing unpopular or inadvisable proposals? A proposal, is,
> at the end of the day, an option, and can always be voted down.
>
> -Aris

I think that as long as people aren't creating excessive proposals,
there's no reason to discourage the production of unpopular proposals.
I also have been thinking about the use of protos recently because it
seems that proposals get much more attention, and therefore seem to be
more effective as drafts.