On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 1:06 AM Aris Merchant <
thoughtsoflifeandligh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> because I'll be receiving compensation from my work.
> >
> > As a final point, if people think that some of my proposals were split
> up and should have been merged, I'm prepared to consider pledging to give
> away some of the money. I wrote proposals that I considered logically
> cohesive and sensible units for voting, but I do agree that if proposals
> have been divided to the point where it's abusive and just gets extra
> money, that's unfair and could be a reason to vote against the proposals. I
> don't think I did that sort of abuse, but if the public disagrees with me
> I'll give up some of the money to ensure that changes that I think are good
> get considered on their merits. What I won't do is categorically agree to
> give away compensation for the effort I put into writing proposals. I hope
> people won't take my unwillingness to do that as a reason to vote down
> proposals they otherwise approve of.
>
> Okay, I feel like I need to respond to this on a level that's more
> personal and not just logical argumentation and justification. I realize
> it's not your fault and I realize you couldn't have known any of this, but
> I'm having a *really* strong emotional reaction right now, and I feel like
> I need to explain why.
>
> I "graduated" from high school this week. It was... a hell of a time to
> graduate. There was no real ceremony, just a social distanced filming of me
> receiving a diploma case that didn't even contain a diploma. I didn't get
> to go through any of the normal parts of graduating. Some of it I'll get to
> do later. Some of it, like seeing all my friends at school again, I'll
> simply never get to experience. I know life sucks for everyone right now,
> but even so, things are... not great for me at the moment.
>
> Everything I said in my previous message was true. Those were all reasons
> I did what I did. But more than that, I needed an escape from real life,
> because real life just kind of sucks right now. So rather than spending my
> graduation week celebrating, I spent almost half of it coming up with
> proposals and doing other Agora things. Like I said, I think they're all
> things that make the game better. Money had nothing to do with it.
>
> I don't expect everyone to vote for my proposals just because my personal
> life is a mess right now. However, I would appreciate not being accused of
> coming up with cosmetic proposals just to get rich. I realize that you
> couldn't have known all of this, and for all that matter I realize that you
> probably said what you said at least half as a joke or part of gameplay,
> but assuming you know what someone else's motivations are is a dangerous
> thing to get into (I do it too, it's very human). This is, as I said, an
> overreaction, and it's in large part due to stuff that isn't really your
> fault. That being said, I nearly cried, and I don't think I've ever been so
> close to filing a Cantus Cygneus. I would really appreciate an apology.

Revision to that: Delete the world "nearly". Like I said, not even really
your fault, but... IDK even know what I'm saying at this point. Why am I
typing an email now of all times?

-Aris
  • DIS: Re: BUS: Re: OFF... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
    • DIS: Re: BUS: Re... Rebecca via agora-discussion
      • Re: DIS: Re:... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
      • Re: DIS: Re:... Rebecca via agora-discussion
        • Re: DIS:... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
          • Re: ... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
            • ... Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
              • ... Rebecca via agora-discussion
              • ... ATMunn via agora-discussion
            • ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
              • ... Jason Cobb via agora-discussion
            • ... Alex Smith via agora-discussion
              • ... Jason Cobb via agora-discussion
                • ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
                • ... nch via agora-discussion
                • ... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
              • ... Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion