On 2020-06-19 23:01, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion wrote:
The larger problem here is that I think proposals are essentially a
volunteer effort. Charging people for them seems to me rather like charging
people to hold offices. [1] It's community service. Why would you charge
people for making the game better?

I don't expect to sway you on this, but I would like to explain my viewpoint just a bit.

Nomics and Nomic-likes aren't like normal games due to the core idea of arbitrary rule changes, so they are also by necessity some kind of legal simulators.

We can therefore model this space as a spectrum from legal simulator to game. If we do so, Agora leans heavily to the legal simulator side, while FRC leans to the game side.

Don't get me wrong, I love Agora as a legal simulator. It's half the reason I play it. But I also love when we actually have gameplay. We have to have some at all times or else there would be nothing to debate about in the courts. But I love even more in-depth economies and minigames that can work by themselves. For instance, I can see some of BlogNomic's dynasties functioning really well as Board Games.

Adding a simple economic barrier to gameplay systems is one of the best ways we have to really make ourselves play and get creative with the economic systems and minigames. We have more incentive to interact with them and therefore have even more excuse to do our regular bickering about rules.

Now, I am strongly in favor of some system of patch proposals. Proposals that adjust balance or wording to clarify issues. But I think that in general, paying for proposals has lots of benefits.

--
Trigon

Treasuror of Agora; Former Speaker (twice), Rulekeepor (12 months) and Cartographor (8 months) of Agora; Champion of Agora by High Score and Proposal; Bearer of the Badge of the Salted Earth; Founder of the League of Agorans Facilitating Effective Recordkeeping; Arcadian Revivalist; Sixth-Longest Continually Registered Player of Agora; Player and former Emperor of BlogNomic; Player, Book-keeper, and Originator of the Metaruleset of Infinite Nomic; Contributor to the nomic.club wiki and the Talk:Nomic page on Wikipedia.